Thursday, June 07, 2007

Being thankful......

So I have been reading Janines blog - on it she asks what are the little things that make us an individual's happy and it got me to thinking - do we only need the big things in our lives to make us happy or can we be content with the small things? For me it is a mixture of the two - I love when my three little munchkins sleep in to at least 7am and that Paige leaves her jammies on and doesn't climb into bed with us like a wee ice chip (sigh - what is it with 2 year olds and the inability to remain fully clothed.....) but then I also love when we do something big like booking our flights to Melbourne for my friend Minka's wedding, or choosing all the 'inside bits' for our new house - maybe it is human nature to always want more, improve what we have etc but on the flip side of the coin is this a bad thing if wanting more means improving our minds with study or a new hobby and is there anything wrong with wanting to strive and work hard in life to be able to improve our quality of life? No wrong or right answer with this one in my personal option but definitely a very debatable topic for all that!!!

I have heard over the last couple of days of a couple of incidents that have occurred in the industry which really sadden me - this is a drum that is often heard but I have always had the belief that scrapbooking is about preserving memories, giving ourselves a creative outlet and as is so often the case, the amazing opportunity to meet like minded people and there are so many amazing friendships that have come from chance meetings from events and forum and blogs that exist in the 'industry'. So when I hear stories of less than kind comments, mean spiritedness and just general 'tall poppy' syndrome it really does make me think of the old saying that 'If you have nothing nice to say, then perhaps refrain from saying anything at all'.

Don't get me wrong, everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's healthy and wouldn't the world be a boring place if we all thought the same things and performed the same actions, but there is a line between opinion and nastiness which usually occurs at the expense of certain individuals who work very hard to make a place for themselves in the world and who without them the scrapbooking industry would not be as colourful. I know that it all sounds very cryptic and that is not the intention of this post, but I do think that perhaps as a community we should celebrate our successes more and well focus less on what we don't like ................

On a separate note - go the kiwis in the yachting!!!

Ciao
Meg

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

well we won the race, now the big race starts in a few weeks. Hopefully we can take the cup, they have worked so hard. I woke up yesterday and thought you know what I am greatful for the little things. After all I seem to focus on the big things a lot like study. So it's nice to remember the small things once in a while. I could rant forever. As Ann and I say NZ is a small place scrapping wise and we all have to get on with each other. Liek you said celebrate the successes.

Sarah said...

I've completely missed whatever's going on in the NZ scrapping world, but I'm going to venture a guess that it involved the internet.

Aww man, now I'm dying of curiosity!

Anonymous said...

Yep... I'm with you one taking stock of the good things in life. helps us get through the less than good if nothing else!

Am totally curious about the mysterious goings on in the industry.... it's that need to see what the tabloids are saying but not wanting to support the scandel mongering by purchasing the mag thing! lol

Anonymous said...

Well I am just a little bit curious now! I don't know what's been going on but I do agree with you - mean and unkind comments are not okay. We teach our children not to act that like so why not take our own advice?!

I do think the little things can make us happy, if we choose to look for them. And of course the big things are great too!! Sounds like you have found a lot to be thankful for in your life, which is awesome! :-)

Mrs Frizz said...

Wow that was more than a little cryptic, now I'm more than a little curious actually and I'm honest.